This recipe makes 4 portions
4 pieces of short ribs
200 grams BBQ sauce
75 grams carrots
75 grams celery root
100 grams onion
75 grams leek
100 grams tomato paste
salt and pepper
100 millilitres oil
1. Wash and dry the ribs.
2. Wash, peel and cut the vegetables into big cubes.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy ovenproof pan.
4. On high heat, quickly, brown the ribs and remove from pan.
5. Drain half of the fat from the pan. Use the remaining fat to slowly brown the vegetables on medium heat.
6. Once the vegetables are nicely brown, add the tomato paste and keep on frying it slowly until it starts getting brown.
7. Add 1tbsp of water and let it reduce until the tomato paste gets more colour and taste. Repeat this step about 4 times or until the paste is nice and brown.
8. Add 2 litres of water and bring to the boil.
9. Preheat the oven to 150˚ Celsius.
10. Put the ribs back into the pan, cover with a lid and slowly cook them for 4 hours.
Check occasionally to make sure there is enough liquid left. Add a bit of water if needed
11. The meat is ready when it starts falling off the bone, take out the ribs.
12. Strain the sauce into another pan. Slowly strain or degrease the sauce which may take some time. Let the sauce reduce to a nice consistency.
13. Once the ribs are cooled down, brush them with BBQ sauce and finish them slowly in the oven or on the grill: set at 200˚ Celsius for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meat. Brush them three or four times to really give them a strong taste of BBQ.
14. Serve with fried potatoes or a garnish of your preference.