Braised Cross Rib with Mashed Potatoes
This recipe makes 4 portions.
Note: Before cooking this recipe, the meat should marinate for a week. While that may sound complicated, it is worth the time invested.
1kg Cross Rib
3/4 litre red cooking wine
1 dash regular vinegar
2 bay leaves
4 juniper berries
1/4 celery root
1 garlic clove
100 ml oil
50g white flour
4 portions mased potatoes
4 rosemary branches
salt and pepper
1. Ask your butcher for a nice piece of Cross Rib for roasting
2. Wash and peel the vegetables and cut everything into 2x2cm cubes
3.Mix the cooking wine, the vinegar and the spices with the vegetables.
4.Place the meat into a container with an air-tight lid. Cover the meat with the marinade mix. Be sure the container is closed well, otherwise your fridge will smell like marinade.
5.After a week, take out the meat from the marinade and let it drain well.
6. Heat oil in a heavy pan.
7. Quickly sear the meat on all sides on high heat. Take the meat out of the pan.
8. Stir the flour into the oil. When mixed well, pour the marinade on top.
9. Bring the marinade to a boil, don't forget to stir otherwise the flour will burn! Skim off the foam that will build up on top. Place the meat in the sauce.
10. Cover with a lid and let it gently boil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Occasionally, check the sauce. You may need to add a bit of water, so it doesn't burn.
11. The roast is ready when you stick a long meat fork into the meat, and you can pull the fork out easily.
12. Take the meat out of the sauce. Skim off any fat on top of the sauce and check seasoning. Strain through a pre-prepared strainer into another pan. If needed, reduce the sauce a bit more to achieve the right consistency.
13. On a plate, dress the mashed potatoes.
14. Slice the meat and place beside the potatoes. Cover with sauce and decorate with the rosemary branches.